How to Make a Living As An Artist
This event is sponsored by Newark Makerhoods.
Making a living doing what you love is the dream.
But getting to that place of financial independence through your art is a challenge – to say the least.
Newark Arts has partnered with Makerhoods to bring you “How to Make a Living as an Artist.”
In this panel discussion, moderated by Peter Winstead, you’ll hear from creatives who have found their pathway to financial stability through their craft.
Meet the Panelists:
- Adrienne Wheeler is a multi-media artist, independent curator, arts educator, and advocate for social justice. Through her practice, Adrienne addresses the injustices that plague society, particularly those injustices affecting the lives of women and children. Her works include wood sculpture, mixed media installation, glass book arts, photography and video.
- Victor L. Davson is a visual artist and the founding director of Aljira, Center for Contemporary Art in Newark. Under his direction from 1983 to 2016, Aljira received nationally and global attention.
- Zee Desmondes is a singer and instrumentalist of the New Jersey duo, The Jack Moves. The Jack Moves, a Newark new-soul indie band signed to Wax Poetics Records have released two full projects (The Jack Moves and Free Money). They tour on the music festival circuit and have shared the stage with Erykah Badu and Ben Harper.
- Peter Winstead (Moderator) is the managing Owner & Creative Director of The Honors Program, a brand strategy multimedia company specializing in event programming and artist management. He is also the producer of the Guard d’Avant Progressive Music Festival.
After the panel discussion, there will be time to ask your questions and to network.
What to Expect:
- 6 – 6:30: Meet & Greet
- 6:30 – 7:30: Panelist Discussion + Q&A
- 7:30 – 8: Networking
*DJ set by Mz Hayes
CLICK HERE TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT!